Post by Night Ranger on Mar 30, 2016 9:57:36 GMT -5
I think my most exciting equipment blow-up occurred when I was restoring an old tan and brown D&A Raider. It looked pretty good, but it had numerous problems. The relay was making intermittent connections, and I sprayed it with contact cleaner. Apparent the plastic was already near failure and my contact cleaner pushed it over the edge. I also made the mistake of not giving the contact cleaner enough time for all of it to dry out. When I keyed the amp the relay arced and the contact cleaner fumes and remaining residue ignited. A big puff of blue flame rolled out of the bottom and in to the air. I turned it back off and put out the flames. After multiple part failures I did eventually make a nice working Raider out of it, but it made my heart skip a beat or two when it caught on fire.
This is the repaired and restored D&A Raider converted to cheap 22jg6a tubes